Dr. Jami Fullerton, Faculty Fellow, SGS Academic Programs
Jami Fullerton earned her doctorate from the University of North Texas and received her BA in Journalism from the University of Oklahoma. She is a professor in the School of Media and Strategic Communications and holds the Peggy Layman Welch Endowed Chair in Strategic Communications at Oklahoma State University. Prior to entering academe, Dr. Fullerton worked in the advertising industry, primarily on the client-side, where she directed the marketing and advertising functions for several national restaurant chains.
Dr. Fullerton’s research interests include cross-cultural communication, nation branding, public diplomacy and advertising education. She has published numerous studies on international and ethnic advertising in national and international academic journals including Journalism and Mass Communication Quarterly, Journal of Advertising Research and the International Journal of Strategic Communications. In 2007, the Association of Women in Communications honored Dr. Fullerton with their national Headliner Award and in 2008 she was named a Tulsa Newsmaker. In 2009, the American Academy of Advertising recognized Dr. Fullerton’s advertising education research with the distinguished Billy I Ross Award. She is editor of Journalism & Mass Communication Educator and previously co-editor of the Journal of Advertising Education.
Dr. Fullerton is co-author with Dr. Alice Kendrick of two books: book Advertising's War on Terrorism (Marquette, 2006) and Shaping International Public Opinion (Peter Lang, 2017).
- B.A., journalism, University of Oklahoma , 1984; M.J. journalism, University of North Texas, 1990; Ph.D. higher education administration, University of North Texas, 1997.
- Courses Taught
- Media Theory, Research Methods, Strategic Communications Management. Undergraduate: Strategic Communications Research, SC Campaigns and International Mass Communication.
- Professional Experience
- Marketing management with TCBY Systems, CiCi's Pizza, Grandy's Restaurants and Little Caesar's Pizza
- Research Interests
- Cross-cultural communication, nation branding, public diplomacy, and advertising education.
- Professional Organizations
- Tulsa Global Alliance, American Advertising Federation, Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication, Association of Women in Communication, American Academy of Advertising